Saturday, May 26, 2012

THE LOCKED GROOVE EXPERIMENT

The first track was made by recording the locked (last) groove of six records; including: Gustav Holst- The Planets, John Zorn- The Dreamers, Catherine Wheel- Wilde4 12", Casiopea- Eyes of The Mind, Implodes- Black Earth, and Nirvana- Alive II 7". Each locked groove played at 33 1/3 rpm creates a unique skipping/looped rhythm. The looped rhythms are then layered with some subtle effects added (reverb and filters.)
The second and third track was made by recording a few sources back through my laptop's built in microphone. A locked groove was recorded and played back from garage band while being re-recorded with a real-time locked groove. In addition, a sample of an elementary school play across the street from my house was recorded and played simultaneously from my itunes as I scrolled through the sample to create the repeating/skipping effects.
This experiment is something I have always wanted to try and I can tell there is plenty of potential to build some substantial material with these techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment